Saturday, February 6, 2010

Yoni Grows Roots




The image at the top of the page is titled Orange Yoni. I have been obsessed with this shape for years and have made several iterations of it. These pictures are from my sketchbooks and from work in progress so you can see I am planning to add more in the later stages the work. This image was taken before the bisque firing. I'm thinking that all the holes I poked for the wire I plan to add later will help prevent massive cracking when I fire them (Wish me luck). What's it all about? Is it something sexual? While I won't deny it, its not what is uppermost on my mind. Yoni is a word associated with Hinduism. As I understand it, it is symbolic of the universal creative energy. You can read what one reviewer said when Orange Yoni was included in the 2009 Rochester Finger Lakes Exhibition this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment